Monday, March 9, 2009

Gorgeous yarns - ambitious project idea...

I was the incredibly lucky recipient of an amazing amount of luscious yarns, by some wonderful ladies at Ravelry. I'm still juggling things around, trying to get everything organized * just so*, moving older "cheap" yarns out of some drawers and re-sorting stash to keep track of all the new goodies. Maybe I'll finally get stash photographed & listed on Ravelry, after meaning to do so forever!

The tough part - trying to decide what to make! I don't want to "waste" any fancy yarn on the "wrong" projects! It's mind-boggling, so many yarns, so many potential projects to choose from...

One thought is that I want to make something that will be used and/or seen the very most - not just another dozen scarves that will be tucked away until winter or something *too* fancy, that I'd only wear once in a blue moon, I want to come up with something that will be used frequently, or seen all the time, to be able to appreciate the beautiful yarn constantly!

I love the ocean & everything connected with it. I miss the gulf coast of FL soooo badly. LOL, we of course were never wealthy enough to actually live right on the coast, but no matter where you live in FL, you can get to the coast in little time so we used to try to spend time over on the central gulf coast area as much as we could.

We have a couple nice bits of artwork in our home that reflect seaside scenes. The other day at Ravelry, I stumbled across some photos of freeform crochet - and there was a mural done in crochet/fiber work that just blew me away. And I had also just received the most beautiful turquoise handspun - gorgeous color that made me think of water/ocean.

Hmmm..... it might not come about, but what I would LOVE to do is create a piece of artwork to go in our home, reflecting the colors/feel of the ocean & shore life that I love so much. I'm not sure if I could do an actual pictorial mural, or if it would have to be more of an abstract collage style piece, but I really want to give this a try. Along with crocheted sealife and yarn sculpting, I could incorporate some small shells & other genuine items from the ocean into it.....

LOL - I've got this vague vision in my mind of what I would LIKE to create - I need to firm up the ideas to more specific elements & see what I can do..... **IF** I could create something like I'm envisioning, it not only would be something to remind me of the ocean, but it also would be a way of using some bits of these beautiful yarns, in such a way that they would be on constant display & be seen/appreciated ALL the time, not hung in a closet or tucked in a drawer.

I'm excited about this idea - and very very leery about whether I can pull it off or not. I know it's likely to be something that gets dabbled & tinkered with for months, but *hopefully* I can do something along the lines of what I'm visualizing...... I think it could be a lot of fun & I'm going to start looking around for specific ideas/inspiration for individual elements of the piece....

No comments: